Hanahan Middle School wins $30K prize in Eco Challenge | News
HANAHAN, SC (WCSC)- The Hanahan Middle School Eco Challenge Team has been named the Grand Prize winner at this year's Lexus Eco Challenge.
The team won the $30,000 Grand Prize for their Caps for a Cause Campaign. Students collected 69,247 hard plastic bottle caps in one month. These caps will be recycled and turned into a bike rack and benches for Hanahan Middle School.
College of Charleston Office of Sustainability and SPAWAR, along with a number of local businesses, came together to help the students reach their goal.
Prize money will be split, with $20,000 going to the students and $10,000 going to the school and teacher advisor.
Hanahan Middle School's Eco Challenge Team has come in first place among middle schools nationally the past three years, but this is the first year they have taken home the overall Grand Prize.
Team members include Lexis Davis, Tyler Futrell, Caroline Hall, Andrea Heyward, Kimberly Johnson, Madison Moeller, Kirsten Songer, Kaylee Stacey, Britney Tsui, Aaron VanMaanen, and teacher advisor Alexandra Davis.
Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top North Charleston Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 'Sounds of Summer' concert series to feature The Sneakers
- Friday's 'Sounds of Summer' concert is cancelled
- Port Authority to play Goose Creek 'Sounds of Summer' this Friday
- 911 hostage call: 'I attempted to rob him...things didn't go as planned'
- Alert customer alerts cops to shooting, hostage taking at store
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal