Charleston County to sponsor recycled art contest | Arts & Culture
Charleston County’s Environmental Management Department is seeking participants for the 2010 Creative Recycling Art Contest. The art contest is being held to celebrate America Recycles Day 2010 in Charleston County. The deadline to submit artwork is 4 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 1, 2010. This year marks the 13th anniversary of the contest.
An awards reception will be held for all entrants at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 4 at the Charleston County Main Library located at 68 Calhoun Street in downtown Charleston. The artwork will be on display at the Main Library from November 11 - December 11 so the general public will have an opportunity to view the entries. National America Recycles Day is on Monday, Nov. 15.
There are two categories to enter:
- Students (grades 7-12)
- Adults (18 years and older)
- At least 70 percent of the materials used in the creation of the entry must be recycled. Recycled is defined as those materials that have been discarded and can be used again such as plastics, glass, metals, newspaper, magazines, cardboard, paperboard and old used items and parts. Art supplies such as glue, paint, markers, nails and staples are allowed.
- Art entries can be in any medium and take any visual form, including, but not limited to sculpture, weaving, fashion, mosaics, ceramics and painting.
- The size of art entries must not exceed 24 inches in height x 24 inches in width x 24 inches in diameter.
- Only one entry per person may be submitted.
- All art entries must be labeled so that each entry can be easily identified. Labels must be securely attached with name, address, phone number, school name, grade, art teacher, name of entry and medium description.
- The deadline to submit artwork is 4 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 1.
- First place in the student category (grades 7-12): $300 savings bond
- First place in the adult category (18 years and older): $300 gift card
- Runner-up awards will be named in each category
Residents can call (843) 720-7111 or visit recycle.charlestoncounty.org for more information on the 2010 Creative Recycling Art Contest or general information on Charleston County’s Environmental Management Department.
Top North Charleston Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight
- Police: Suspect attacked his children's mom and their crying baby
- Authorities release video of crash involving deputy, motorist
- Charleston man remembered after losing battle with Cystic Fibrosis